Sunday, August 21, 2005

Gonna Eat a Lot of Peaches

I'm not the type to snack on fruit out of hand. Except for maybe bananas which I don't consider fruit, just more like General Food, Breakfast. Perhaps this has something to do with the 3 times I knocked out my front teeth, forever removing the possibility of corn on the cob or crisp apples. A good knife is always involved in any decision I make to eat either of those foods. If want a healthy snack I always reach for vegetables. The one big exception to this habit would be the peach.

I have been on a quest for the perfect peach for the past 6-7 years. A peach that reminds me of the ones we ate when I was kid living in Georgia, age 8. One that reminds me of the nightly dessert of sliced peaches with whole milk poured over top at my grandma's house. Knowing that I sound like an irritating old lady, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

This summer has managed to lift my spirits on the peach front. On a recent trip to Durango, CO for a friend's wedding I tasted what is most certainly the perfect peach.
Colorado Palisades Peaches. I bought a bag of 9 gigantic peaches for 10 dollars from the back of a pick up truck in a nursery parking lot and frankly, they looked too pretty to actually taste good. I took my first bite then and there and the juice just poured out of it and down my face and arm. It was sweet, a tiny bit tart and completely perfect. Describing a perfect peach is nearly impossible, so you'll have to take my word for it. Just imagine your memory of an ideal piece of fruit and there you are.

And then today I discovered another amazing peach available for purchase right here in my neighborhood. Since moving to this neighborhood last year, the husband and I go to our local produce place, Rossman Farms , at least twice a week. The selection and prices are outstanding and I'm constantly finding new varieties of fruits and veggies to try out. Today I bought what they referred to as "Tiger" peaches, but upon further research I think they are also known as Indian Blood Peaches. Fushia and white flesh, sweet tart, actually they taste a little bit like raspberries. The juiciest, sweetest, eat it over the sink and change shirts when you're done peach/raspberries you've ever had.

Speaking of Rossman Farms, I know the government recently filed suit against them because of their horrible labor practices (not adhering to minimum wage, no overtime, not keeping any employee wage/hour records). I'm curious if anyone knows what is becoming of the case? I'm sure their lack of ethics contributes to the rock bottom prices. Even so, a 25% price increase would still be a fair price on most everything they sell and their stuff is the best around.

1 comment:

Frances D said...

Hi,
Thanks for visiting my audio blog; that park is on my list of places to check out and photograph.
I've heard good things of the Oregan - Washington State areas.
Funny having grown up in Manhattan Iregard Brooklyn as suburban living!
I am looking forward to visiting your blog again.
Enjoy the peaches kiddo.