Friday, August 26, 2005

Cat Scratch Fever

Excerpted from this week's New York Magazine: "Nor was Kai the only As Four [a NY fashion collective] member with pugilistic tendencies. One night, Ange had an altercation with Chan Marshall, the rock-folk singer known as Cat Power. Ange says it was because Marshall's boyfriend was "trying to chat me up and she pulled me to the floor." Marshall says Ange was throwing drinks on her because "she thought I looked like trash."

"The southern lady I am," Marshall continues, "asked the Lord for guidance, and when she approached a third time, the Lord said, 'Fuck it!' and I grabbed her by the back of her skull, bent her backward down to the ground, and told her she just doesn't do that to people. I still feel guilty, but anybody else would have destroyed her face and called Immigration."


I find this endlessly funny for some reason. Maybe because I'm secretly happy to imagine some pretentious fashionista getting yanked by Cat Power (or anyone for that matter). Or maybe it's because I love Cat Power's music but she personally has never done anything for me.......until now. Maybe because she sites "the Lord", or maybe the INS comment. I don't know, but I like it.

No comments: