Friday, September 23, 2005

(One of)My Worst Nightmares

So today I'm wearing a cute and breezy long silk top. Almost a tunic I guess, paired with kicky jeans, smart shoes and a snazzy belt. Yes, snazzy. Feeling kind of casually lovely, buoyed by it being Friday, I left for work. At the far too early time of 6:45 am today I got on the N train at Atlantic Ave and as usual, there was no seat to be had. But seeing the large clusters of people doing the pole dance, I opted to move further in and simply hold on to the overhead bar. Almost immediately a mid-20's-ish guy offers me his seat. I'm flummoxed for a moment, but I gratefully thank him and sit down. I proceed to have a conversation with myself about his action. Wow, you never see men in NYC acting in this traditional, old-fashioned way. What would it be like if more men behaved like this? Followed quickly by the feminist in me and 'well, it's nice to not have to stand, but I certainly don't need or want men doing something nice just because I'm a woman' blah, blah, blah. And then halfway across the Manhattan Bridge it dawns on me: he thinks I'm PREGNANT. This stupid fucking shirt (and my gut) makes me look pregnant. While the gesture was nice of him, it's a bit of a blow to my self-esteem. Now I just need to actually be pregnant so I can justify my gut. And walk around like an asshole with my hands on my lower back.

No comments: