Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Kaci The Gassy

While browsing the 2005 World Almanac (alright, I'm a liar. I'm actually reading it cover to cover), I came upon a run down of French monarchs and was reminded of how wonderfully whimsical some of their nicknames were.
Observe:
Charles I (the Bald)
Louis II (the Stammerer)
Charles II (the Fat)
Charles III (the Simple)---apparently the Charles legacy was not a fine one
Louis V (the Sluggard) left no heirs----wonder why

And then the more positively viewed monarchs:
Robert II (the Wise)
Phillip I (the Fair)
Louis VII (the Lion)
Phillip V (the Tall)
John II (the Good)
Charles VII (the Affable)

For anyone who does not own one, I recommend purchasing a world almanac. It is mighty fine subway reading, never dull, not too bulky. I can't believe that until recently I've gotten by periodically browsing the totally dogeared, 10 year old almanac at O'Connors.

No comments: