Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Come on, really?

I am sick again or still or something. I got sick at the first of March, was sick for a little over a week, thought I was healthy for a week or so, when it then turned into a sinus infection. But not just any sinus infection; the most painful thing I've ever experienced where the maxillary sinus got infected and pressed upon the root of one of my teeth. Blindingly painful. Couldn't take the local train that ran under the river due to massive compression painful. A week's worth of antibiotics was enough to get rid of it for a while, but apparently not for good. Then last Friday I started to feel cruddy again and as of yesterday I had to go back to the doctor. My throat was so sore I could barely swallow, I was coughing, blah blah blah. This time it turns out it's a chronic sinus infection and I tested positive for strep. Awesome! I was supposed to be catering the NYC Bar Association's annual gala tonight, but the doctor very clearly said that, no, I would not be handling food tonight. So now I'm sitting here on the couch with a sore throat and some kind of weird swelling on half of my face. Maybe it's a reaction to the medication, maybe it's karma for secretly smirking at my own good health all winter.

On the plus side, my boss just called to ask me if I can work on Sunday. Work in this case being defined as showing up at 9am to let the demolition crew in and locking up when they're done at 5. He told me I can take a 3 hour lunch, go see a movie, bring my laptop, whatever I want. He also said I can take the day as overtime or take an extra day off next week. I think this will make up for the lost money from today's catering gig. Take that karma!

3 comments:

jordi said...

See?? no good deed goes unpunished! Even gloating over health can get you tapped on the top of the head with a hammer. Sorry you are feeling badly. If I were still down in Chelsea I would come visit you at the demolition derby, but alas..not to be. Feel better and take ALL the antibiotics EVERY SINGLE ONE, this is your ur-mother speaking..
jordi

Hott Mama said...

That sounds pretty lousy. You should fire your sinuses. Or at least give them a lecture about loyalty.

At least Sunday's "work" will sort of make up for it.

Clockwatcher said...

I'm sure if Sienna was around to give me her belly to rub I'd feel better almost immediately. I do miss you though Jordi. And Allison, I like your instincts. I'm putting them on notice.