Thursday, February 15, 2007

best books ever

Been reading a lot, as usual, thanks to the commute and job perks. I may have mentioned previously that I was getting ready to read the new Dave Eggers, What Is the What. I know a lot of people are turned off by him these days and I can understand why. However, this book is not like his others. It's shelved in fiction, but is actually a biography. Per 'journalistic standards' , he couldn't justify it being kept in bios because the conversations being quoted were not on tape. Of course, they are officially undocumented because the main guy in the book was a war refugee in Sudan, Ethiopia and Kenya. This book was incredibly good; so much that I was nervous about whatever book I would read next, dreading the letdown.

Lucky for me, the letdown didn't come because the next book I read was doubtless the best work of fiction I've read in years. It's called Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamonda Ngozi Adichie. It's a story about the Nigerian civil war as told from the perspective of a Biafran family. Definitely an epic type novel, it covers a place and time in history that I knew very little about. Please, please, please, if you only read one piece of fiction this year, let Half of a Yellow Sun be it.



No comments: